Harriet Reese is the winner!
American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the answer for Week 475 of Orofino History Trivia a special feature to celebrate the history and heritage of Clearwater Country.
Join in the discovery!
Monday: Been in Orofino 80 years
Tuesday: A national organization
American Association University Women (AAUW) was established in 1935 in Orofino. The group is an national association founded in 1881 to empower women and advance equit for women and girls through advocacy, education and philanthropy. Their vision is to empower all women and girls to reach their highest potential.
Some of the accomplishments of the Orofino branch include:
- 1936 worked to rid the park of garbage and rats
- 1937 helped Camp Fire Girls
- 1940 began teas for graduating high school senior girls and their mothers
- 1949 helped raise $2,500 for the city library which is now the Clearwater Memorial Public Library
- Helped start Parent Teachers Association
Activities through the years
- Relief supplies for refugee women and children
- Purchased Defense Bonds
- Cancer project, Blood Drives
- Sponsored a child to enter the Coeur d’Alene Sanitorium
- Sponsored Kindergarten
- Promoted Art and Music in the schools
- Ruth Pearce Memorial Fund
- Returning Student Scholarship
- Fine Arts Camp Scholarship
- Patchwork Bazaar
- Summer Reading Program
- Community/School Programs
Check the AAUW display currently at the Clearwater Historical Museum.
Want accurate, daily news for Orofino and Clearwater County?
Traditional news Today's technology
It's a bargain at $3 per month, $18 for 6 months or $30 per year. (Idaho residents, please add 6% sales tax)
Subscribing is easy:
- Drop us a check with your email address and we will sign you up. (See the mailing address at left)
- Pay online: Click this Registration link and follow the Pay Pal instructions.